Braided sleeving is one of the best ways you can cover and protect your wires. Expandable sleeving is used for projects of any size cables, wires, hoses, and connectors. Braided Sleeving is also known as wire sleeving, expandable sleeving, PET sleeving, and Non-fray sleeving.
Among the major brand names for braided sleeving you can find are Bentley Harris, Techflex and Suflex.
There are many types of Sleeving according to use and materials. Some of the most common are listed below.
Some Types of Braided Sleeving:
1. Standard Sleeving: Ideal for general purpose use.
- PET sleeving can expand up to three times its nominal diameter and has tensile strength while still maintaining extreme flexibility. It features a hook and loop velcro closing system for an easy installation. Usually you may choose between black or colored sleevings. Used for wire management, automotive restoration and even PC modification.
- Non-fray expandable sleeving can be terminated with regular scissors, and you don't need to worry about unraveling the sleeve. This is an ideal solution for covering cords that will endure frequent handling. You may use this in automotive, industrial and computer applications.
2. Flame Retardant: Recommended to be used in environments where there is danger of potential fires and it is important to protect your wiring.
- PET Flame Retardant expandable sleeving is used just like its standard sister, but is recommended for electronic and high tech applications because of its flame extinguishing capabilities.
- Non-fray Flame Retardant sleeving has the same uses and characteristics as the standard version, but the added compound protects against fire by self-extinguishing and reducing flame spread.
- F6 Flame Retardant Braided Wrap Around Sleeving is flexible and semi rigid. Preferably used in situations that requires cut, abrasion and heat resistance, as well as frequent rearranging and rerunning.
- Thermashield Wrap is an aluminum laminated fiberglass cloth with an adhesive strip designed to protect hoses, electronics and wires in extreme conditions, and against engine fluids, salt water, and UV light. These sleeves are flexible and easy to install.
- Bentley- Harris Expando FR Plus braided sleeving is a polyester blend that is flame retardant, expandable, and is designed for environments with extreme temperatures. This expando sleeve protects wires, cables and hoses from chaffing and abrasion while the open weave style eliminates the trapping of heat, humidity, and moisture. Several industries like NASA, the military, and oil refineries use these cable sleeves because of the protection they provide.
- Bently-Harris Expando 686DM is an extreme heavy duty expandable sleeve designed as a flame retardant open-weave braided sleeve with an unequaled 200C rating that protects wires, cables, and hoses. The expando 686DM is used in a diversity of applications such as marine, electronic, oil refineries, manufacturing, military, space and aeronautic industries.
3. Side Entry: ideal to use in situations were frequent rearranging, re-running, and pre-installed cabling is common. This is the easiest and fastest style braided sleeving to install.
- Gator Sleeve Wrap Around is a tightly woven, super-strong braided sleeving that provides superior abrasion resistance. Preferred choice by professional users because of its PET mono-filament fibers that offer second to none abrasion resistance.
- Wind-IT braided sleeving is and ultra-light weight sleeve that wraps around your wires creating an additional protective layer against outside contact.
- F6 Braided Wrap Around sleeving is more flexible than other types of slit tubing making it a breeze to install. This wrap has an exclusive property which provides it the ability to 'remember' its placement. Use this product where frequent rearranging and rerunnig are common.
- Round-It 2000 uses a blend of polyester mono-filaments and multi-filaments that protect wires and cables from abrasions and fluids. It is mostly used in aeronautical, marine, electronic, furniture and general manufacturing applications.
- PET Wrap allows you to work on segments of the cabling, rather than having to remove the entire covering and re-run all of its contents thanks to its hook and loop closure which runs the length of the material. Use the PET Wrap braided sleeving for applications that require multiple wire breakouts or access to specific sections of wiring.
- Thermashield Wrap uses fiberglass cloth reinforced with aluminum laminate to create an excellent insulation wrap solution for protecting components like wires, electronics, hoses and other sensitive components against extreme radiant heat. Easy to install and can be cut to fit any odd shaped connector or termination, Thermashield is highly resistant to engine fluids, salt water, and UV light.
- Heavy Wall is a heavy duty sleeving made with a monofilament that is 50% thicker then regular PET sleeving. Heavy Wall braided sleeving is made to last in situations where cables and hoses must endure constant and continued contact with rough surfaces, making it perfect for outdoor and industrial environments.
- Halar Expandable sleeving is made of an Ethylene-Chlorotrifluoroethylene copolymer monofilament which makes the sleeve extremely tough and durable. It is comparable, but more affordable than Teflon. It is used by NASA for use in space programs.
- Kevlar braided sleeving is a chemical resistant sleeve that protects your cables or hoses in the most extreme environments. Kevlar has a cloth-like feel with unlimited range of movement, yet it is up to 20 times stronger than steel.
- Gorilla Sleeve is a heavy duty sleeve that is extremely strong and stiff due to its thick wall construction of flat nylon filaments that offer exceptional tensile strength and unbeatable abrasion resistance, while still maintaining a smooth, clean appearance. Gorilla sleeve is commonly used in automotive and marine applications including installation in heavy machinery.
- Metal Braided Sleeving constructed out of tin coated copper wire, this helps maintain electrostatic and electromagnetic shielding, as well as helps defend against radio frequency interference (RFI). Metal sleeves are commonly used for shielding cables in order to prevent data loss or signal interference and provides exceptional attenuation over a wide range of frequencies.
- Non-slip Skid Resistant Sleeving is lightweight, durable sleeve made with a monofilament that is 50% than regular PET sleeving and is designed for smooth floor areas like those found in photo; film and TV studios where cable snakes, high foot traffic and low light create a slipping hazard.
- Nylon Multifilament braided sleeving is an exceptionally strong sleeve that will hold up in almost any application, plus it resists UV damage and does not rot or retain moisture. It is used for applications under the hood of a vehicle, along the floor, and even outdoors.
- Nylon Expandable Braided Sleeving is manufactured from nylon 6-6 polyamide mono filaments that help reduce the damage to hoses and cables that are creating friction on the inside of the sleeve. Preferred uses are in cable assemblies and automotive applications.
- Chrome XC Expandable Sleeving provides a tough layer that prevents possible scuffing. It's UV resistant and mildly conductive when used for shielding or insulation. This chrome expandable sleeve gives a sleek and professional appearance to any application.
- Reflex braided sleeving is a reflective sleeving with a combination of lightweight PET and 3M Ultra Reflective monofilament. The result is a sleeve that is highly reflective and visible, with abrasion and chemical resistance. It is used to add safety to cables, hoses, guy lines, chains, and fences located in low-light environments.
Braided Sleeving Uses:
Depending on the type of sleeving you choose usability may vary. Expandable sleeving has a wide range of uses. Sleeving is mostly used for wire management, automotive restoration, PC modification, insulation, fire protection and other miscellaneous uses.
For specific use, please look at our types of braided sleeving section to find the product that best fits your specific application.