Cable Protectors & Protective Cord Covers
When it comes to cable protectors, cord covers and cable ramps, we have one of the largest selections to choose from, and with more choices there is a better chance in finding the right cord cover for your application.
Available in a wide range of designs, we carry cord covers made from materials like rubber, pvc, polyurethane, aluminum, stainless steel and more. From small single cord wire covers to large industrial cable ramps, off the shelf or custom products, we will work with you in finding the right cable protector for you.
Whether it's one pesky wire across the floor at home or a nest of cables at the office, here at Electriduct.com we offer many simple and affordable cable management solutions to fit an array of applications.
If you have questions regarding any of our products and applications, feel free to contact us at 866-673-9590.
Uses & Applications of Cable Protectors
Cable protectors are a simple and effective cable management and protection solution that can be used at home, in the office or on most job sites. Cable covers allow you to protect your valuable cables, hoses and wires, reduce tripping hazards, while keeping floor cables neatly concealed. Regardless of the type of installation you need, the traffic volume, or the budget you have, cable protectors are a great option to guard your cables and wires.
Channel sizes and number of channels may vary from one type of cord protector to another. Depending on the model, styles, and manufacture, cable protectors may be available in one-piece or modular interlocking design. The interlocking modular cord covers may have different types of connectors, allowing you to create grids as well as straight lines.
Since not all cord protectors are the same, and material make-up varies between brand and model, some cable covers may be UV, flame, and abrasion resistant, as well as weather proof, so choosing the right one for the job is essential to provide the right protection in the right environment. Among the most common materials you will find rubber, vulcanized rubber, high impact PVC, neoprene, polyurethane, cordura nylon, vinyl-coated fabric and steel.
There are many manufacturers of cord protectors. Among the main brand names you can find on the market today are Yellow Jacket, FireFly, SafCord, Wiremold, Electriduct, Geist, Elasco, Flexiduct, CordSavers, and Checkers.
Cable covers can be classified in different ways, they can be divided by type of traffic or by use. Following you can learn about cable covers based on these two ways of grouping them.
Type of Traffic Handled:
I. Light Duty: These covers should only be used when cables and wires are being protected from foot traffic. Generally these covers are more budget friendly, lightweight, and flexible and may come in several colors.
Examples of Light Capacity protectors are:
1. Rubber Ducts: Low cost, easy to install system perfect for covering exposed wires, power cords, and CAT5 cables in workstations and offices as well as at home while providing a safe, trip-free environment. Rubber cord covers are available in different grades, lengths, and colors.
2. Plastic Floor Cord Cover: Ideal way to keep from tripping on loose cables. The rounded surface helps when moving carts over wires, while their trim design makes them inconspicuous. Cord Protectors are very easy to install since there is an open slit on the bottom of the plastic strip the easily opens up for cord insertion. Cord Covers are available in 5 different lengths as well as in several colors.
3. Wiremold Plastic Cord Protector: Covers, hides and protects cords and cables while keeping floors clear and safe. Plastic cord protectors lay flat on the floor and are easy to install. They are available in different lengths and colors.
4. DO-Lite Cable Protector: Is a versatile Polyurethane solution for protecting cables and cords from pedestrian traffic that is found in home, office, garage, warehouse, and retail stores. With its T-bone connectors, you are assured that the cables are covered as long as you need, plus their diamond raised texture gives these cord ramps maximum traction.
5. Defender Compact: an indoor cord cover with 7 channels that efficiently protects and covers your cables with its polyurethane molded supports. The rubber-like surface provides traction to prevent slipping and tripping hazards. This cord cover has a load capacity of 400 lbs.
II. Medium Duty: These cable covers should only be used when cables, hoses and wires are being protected from foot and light vehicle traffic such as small cars and concession carts. Ideal situation to use are for large telecom/datacom cable protection.
Examples of Medium Duty cable protectors are:
1. MegaDuct Cord and Hose Cover: With its heavy duty PVC construction, the MegaDuct hose protector is ideal to use for protection of large power cords, hoses and cables. It is available in black or safety yellow in 3 or 5 foot sections.
2. Linebacker GP1 Protector: is a general purpose 1 channel system made of UV stabilized polyurethane that is ideal for vehicle and pedestrian traffic in public, commercial, and industrial applications. The single channel systems allows you to protect valuable electrical cables and hose lines from vehicle and foot traffic, and is mainly used for temporary re-routing. Among its benefits are the 5 bar thread pattern for maximum traction, offers an operating temperature of -40 F to 120 F, able to connect ADA ramps, and has a maximum load per axle of 21,000 lbs.
3. Furrion Portable Cable Ramp: the perfect cable protector to carry on the road or water because it is lightweight with an industrial strength resistance and it has a carrying case for added portability. These portable cable ramps can be used both for permanent and traveler cable and hose protection. The features of this product are unmatched with an adjustable channel size, interconnecting system, and the ability to break down into an easy to carry case.
4. Fox Single Channel Cable Protector: is a UV stabilized polyurethane protector perfect for use during fairs, expos and concerts because it offers a top loading design with a load capacity of 20,150 lbs per axel. Other benefits include, low profile and threaded surface to prevent tripping hazards, weather resistance, easy set-up and storage. Operating temperature of -40 F to +120 F.
III. Heavy Duty: Cable Protectors in this class are meant for high traffic applications including heavy vehicular traffic. Uses include construction sites, outdoor work environments, movie industry and mining industry, the heavy duty protectors have a high abrasion resistance and some can hold upwards of 36,000 lbs/tire (72,000 lbs/axle). Heavy duty cable protectors work well in areas where large cables must pass across work sites to transport electricity, and electronic data. In these situations, continual foot or vehicle traffic may disrupt or permanently damage the cables. Heavy Duty cord ramps will prevent this damage from occurring.
Examples of Heavy Duty protectors are:
1. Yellow Jacket AMS: stands for advanced modular system (AMS) cord protector that can change and grow according to you needs creating a customized protection for an unlimited number of cables. It is ideal for areas with limited floor space, as well as areas where there are forklifts, small vehicles and heavy foot traffic.
2. Modular Hose Bridge System: a polyurethane system allows you to protect valuable hose lines while ensuring safe passage for vehicles. Its construction makes it abrasion, impact and weather resistant.
3. Guard Dog Cable Protector: find this protector at trade shows, fairs, and large public events doing its job, with a maximum load capacity of 21,000 lbs per axle, the Guard Dog is perfect for safeguarding your cables. Features found on this cord protector can start with the 5-bar thread pattern surface, stay-open lid for fast cable installation and removal, and ADA attachable ramps for wheelchair friendly use.
4. The Hawk Cable Protector: This 3-channel cord protector is one of the most economical options on the market today for heavy duty cable protection from heavy foot to large vehicular traffic. With its molded polyurethane construction, this cord cover is tough enough to withstand almost anything, from tractor trailers to forklifts. Other product features are a low profile design, fiberglass hinge that won't rust in moist conditions and interlocking ends for specific runs. The Nite Hawk Cable Protector features a glow-in-the-dark lid for night-time applications such as: concerts, road-work, construction areas, parades and nightclubs.
Classified by Use:
I. Standard: these are the basic cord protectors, generally used in a permanent situation where you install and leave them permanently or almost permanently. Standard protectors are usually used in offices, schools, and homes. In most cases, these covers can be printed to match your decor.
Examples of Standard cord covers:
1. Cable Shield Covers: made of tough, high impact PVC plastic to protect delicate and valuable cables from being crushed, damaged by abrasion, or strained from being tripped over or snagged. These cable covers offer more protection than other light duty covers and can be used in almost any indoor application. While their 2-piece design separates easily for cable installations, and locks securely in place, their pre-applied adhesive backing allow fast and simple installation in heavy trafficked areas. With a designer finish, Cable Shields can blend or be painted to complement a wide range decor.
2. ChordSavers Cord Covers: is an exclusive solution for protection of all your cords and cables, and they elimate the need to use expensive tapes. With a hard PVC body, Chord Savers provide excellent protection against foot traffic with their easy two-piece snap-together, an interlocking design, and dual silicone rubber strips help reduce slippage on most floor surfaces. Choose between an array of inserts to blend seamlessly with wood, tile, and other colored flooring.
3. Club Saver Cord Protectors: Designed to hold a large amount of cables, it provides protection for any type of foot and cart traffic. The wide body design, non-slip backing, and removable PVC cover, the Club Saver floor cord cover is the ideal cord protector for use in recording studios, night clubs, and live music venues where audio cables need to be kept safe, but accessible.
4. Neoprene Cord Protectors: are quick and easy solutions for protecting small wires. With its neoprene rubber make-up, this product will not ripple like plastic cord covers, and with the supplied double-sides adhesive tape, this cord cover will lay perfectly flat on virtually any surface, even carpet!
II. Dropovers: these style covers are used in situations where you may be required to cover some cords for a while, but later there is no need. The design covers 180 and as its style name implies, you just drop the protector over any existing cable runs and that's it. Most Drop overs have built-in connecting T's for those long cable set-ups and are made from a variety of materials like, polyurethane, rubber, and plastic.
1. Fastlane Dropover: made from durable polyurethane, this cable management floor cable ramp solution works well in garages, warehouses, and convention centers where constant pedestrian traffic is present.
2. Cable Guard Dropover: the sturdy urethane construction and the interlocking feature will protect your cables and wires over any length needed. This Dropover is a great temporary solution to loose cables running along floors in offices, schools, malls, and labs.
3. Bumble Bee Drop Over Cable Protector: is a general purpose 2 channel system ideal for vehicle and pedestrian traffic in public, commercial, and industrial applications such as temporary re-routing of cables and hose lines. Constructed out of UV stabilized polyurethane, and has a load test of 10,500 lbs per tire, the two extra wide channels to accommodate large or multiple cables will surely protect your fragile cables. Operating temperature of -40 to 120F.
III. Flat Covers: a great solution for quickly and efficiently organizing your cables. Flat covers allow you to fasten loose floor cords mostly with a hook-and-loop edging, and are for the most part self-adhesive.
Examples of Flat Covers are:
1. SafCord Cord Covers: The industrial grade durable cordura nylon fabric cord protector provides a washable solution to securing electrical and data cables to carpet. This innovative cord cover uses filament hooks instead of adhesives which allow you to fasten the cords in place while no residue is left when removed so there is no damage to your carpet. The tough and high quality design of SafCord allows you to cut it to any length without unraveling, while the low profile design prevents tripping hazards. SafCord's flexible design allows you to use it on stairs or curved surfaces making it ideal for hallways, stairs, doorways, as well as office workspaces.
2. Dura Race Cord Covers: are textile floor sleeves made from strong and abrasion resistant UV resistant ballistic Nylon fibers, with an industrial-strength hook closure system for adhering to most industrial and high-traffic carpeting, which make this cord cover the perfect solution for hiding and protecting cables exposed on carpeted areas. While Dura Race sleeves have a low-profile design that keeps all cables and wires close to the floor helping prevent injuries or damage to equipment; they are flexible enough to be used on stairs or around corners.
Tunnel Tape: Designed to be used on the floor, this tape has adhesive only on the outer zone edge to create a tunnel to protect cords, cables, and wires from the adhesive material, it can be lifted and repositioned several times, and leaves no adhesive residue. Tunnel Tape is hand-tear able and puncture resistant. It is perfect for taping down wires and cables in convention centers, auditoriums, and TV studios.
4. Cable Path This vinyl-coated fabric tape is a great solution to quickly and efficiently organize your cables while offering superior durability and strength. With its high performance, cured rubber adhesive at both edges and a center with no adhesive, the cable path tape allows you to easily and securely accommodate and pull through your cables and wires as needed. An added benefit is that the gaffers tape makes it easy to reposition your cables without leaving any sticky residue. The Cable Path is used in the entertainment industry, warehouses, manufacturing facilities, offices, stores and theaters for temporary set-ups.
IV. Specialty Cable Protectors: Refers to those cable covers that offer a unique cable protection features.
Examples of Specialty Ramps:
1. FireFly LED Cable Protector: the first battery powered LED cable ramp that provides maximum visibility during the day and night. Illuminate hallways, warehouses, parades, or anywhere you need cable protection and have to notify on-coming traffic that a possible tripping hazard lies ahead.
2. Crossover Cable Protectors: which are custom-built, single-piece cable protectors. These Crossover cable covers were originally made for impact, high performance needs of the mining industry. Crossover covers provide protection for very large cables, hoses, and above-ground pipes.
V. ADA Compliant Ramps: are specially designed cable protectors that compy with ADA regulations (Americans with Disabilities Act, a document which outlines standards for handicap accessibility and other guidelines that often pertain to the safety of various cord covers, drop-over cable channels and ramps). No tools are necessary to install these speciality covers. The gentle slope and slip resistant ramps provide a safe crossing point for wheelchairs, carts and vehicles with small wheels such as strollers.
Examples of ADA Ramps are:
1. Linebacker ADA Compliant Ramps: Lightweight and modular, these ADA compliant ramps offer a gentle slope for safe crossing. These ramps are compatible with Linebacker Heavy Duty 2, 3, 4 & 5 channel cable protectors, Linebacker GP1 & 5, and Guard Dog cable ramps.
2. Yellow Jacket WASP AMS: a highly stable system that hooks together using Hipersnap and eliminates the need for side rails. This innovative ramp system allows for expansion allowing you to have extra wide ramps. Among its features are the slip resistant surface; a 4.8 degree slope for carts,, dollies, and wheelchairs; and strong construction to handle constant forklift traffic. Use Yellow Jacket Classic and Yellow Jacket AMS in conjunction with the WASP systems.
Cord protectors are so versatile that you can use them in almost any indoor and outdoor situation. Cable covers are great for home, office, industrial, automotive, school and entertainment uses. The use of cord protectors is almost unlimited, you just have to make sure you pick the right product for your needs. If you need detailed information on a certain style cable protector, check out the specific product pages on our site.
At Electriduct.com we carry a large variety of cable protection products ranging in sizes, colors, channels, materials, and designs (Electriduct®, Linebacker, Yellow Jacket, Furrion and more!) to accommodate your wire/cable protection scenarios in any environment. With so many choices and an endless amount of applications, it will be easy for you to find the perfect Cable Protector that provides the organization, safety and protection you require.